Monument 640

Monument 640

1919-1947.

On the Piedra Blanca Rancho, William Randolph Hearst created La Cuesta Encantadaâ„¢ (The Enchanted Hill) on the historic Piedras Blancas Ranch. The castle includes La Casa Grande (the large house) and adjacent buildings containing art treasures from around the world, beautiful architecture and gardens.

The Hearst Corporation presented the castle to the State of California in 1958 as a memorial to William Randolph Hearst.

Hearst donated it in the name of his mother, Phoebe Apperson Hearst.

Rumors abound that after having the castle up on the auction block with no takers he finally gave it to the state and simply took the write-off.